Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bridges Again



Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges. Bridges in the past couple years has become one of my favorite authors. I am slowly working through most of the books that he has written. I recently picked up Respectable Sins after recognizing that one of my biggest struggles is dealing with what Bridges calls "subtle" or "refined" sins. These are not the blatant and offensive sins of the culture that Christians are quick to condemn. Instead, the subtle sins are the sins that we seem to tolerate, dismiss, and maybe even encourage.

At the risk of being overly positive, reading this book was like having a personal meeting with the Holy Spirit. Not only was it convicting, it was gentle and loving. Bridges has a way of bringing the issues to the surface and also applying the gospel to our need. Wounding and healing some might call it. I am very grateful for another great book by Bridges. I hope God gives Mr. Bridges a whole lot more time to write a whole lot more for us.

No comments: