Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Self Help or God's Glory

As I was reading through Don Carson's book on his father's ministry titled Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor I had to stop after I read a manuscript of Tom Carson's radio broadcast. It was a little lofty and used some old terminology. It also seemed to exult the glory of God and there wasn't a three point application. I had to stop and think for a minute (this is a new thing I learned at the conference and I am trying to employ it more). The manuscript along with a lot of Puritan things that I have been reading lately led me to write this in my notebook and I think it is worthy of sharing:

Gospel Change: Two church services might be equally declared, "good" but for very different reasons. The first because it was practical, easy to follow, and offered a couple points that can easily be put into practice (Almost self help in nature). The second service might be declared "good" because the majesty of God was displayed through His word. The first of our examples might see immediate behavioral change but I would contend it might only be temporary. The latter might overwhelm the hearer and seem as if there little to no application. However, the latter is clearly the better and will produce an actual and lasting change. Beware of practical "self help" sermons. Be desperate for "God help."

No comments: