Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Thoughts on Spurgeon Pt 2

Joyful first servings: 
It seems to me that Spurgeon was anointed from the get go. After his wonderful and complete conversion experience he began to teach Sunday School and then later began to preach on a circuit to local farm towns within walking distance of the church he was attending. Keep in mind that when Spurgeon started preaching he was still a boy 16 years old or thereabouts. He was affected by the gospel so clearly it was easy to teach others about it. He spoke from the heart... and this in turn affected others. 

How has the gospel affected you? I am wrestling with this as we talk about joy at youth group. How do you achieve joy in what Jesus did through his death burial and resurrection? How can you truly appreciate that event like you should? 

Most of the time at best I am a little excited about it... but honestly there are a lot of days where I know a lot about the gospel and it doesn't get my blood pumping like it should. How can I fight that?

I guess what I learned is that it is a struggle to keep Jesus on his throne. So many other things try to rush the throne of our hearts and take over. We need to learn what particular things help us to keep the Gospel alive in our hearts. It should never grow old. So, figure out what helps you appreciate Jesus most. For me right now it is a J.I. Packer series of lectures on the Puritans (Spurgeon's heroes). But at other times it has been listening to Hillsong United or dialoguing with other passionate Christ followers.

The bottom line of Spurgeon's success early on in his ministry was that the Gospel had completely dominated him... he was a changed man. And, out of the overflow of gladness others were changed as well. 

Does the gospel affect you like that?

No comments: