Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm Not a Fan of Cabin Writers

Just had a thought today: I am not entirely interested in books spun from the hands of gentle men sitting in their rockers by a lake somewhere. I want something with substance. I want books where words are carefully weighed not with the question, "how can I say this so it will sell books," but instead, "how can I say this so the weightiness of eternity and the importance of the gospel is displayed and obeyed?"

Here is how Albert Mohler Jr. puts it in his chapter in Feed My Sheep:
Do you not imagine that your preaching priorities would become clear under persecution?After all, if you are forced to meet with your congregation in a catacomb,and if you know that you might be arrested at any time, you are going to weigh every word. There is not going to be any time for pulpit frivolity. There is not going to be any time to promote the next youth program. You are going to be concerned with getting down to the reality of the eternal Word of God.
Mohler is addressing preaching but I think the same should be applied to books. I want to hear from men that are thinking through the importance of what they are saying and how it presses the gospel into the hearts of the readers.

Books that come to mind are the epistles that Paul wrote from prison, or Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Letters and Papers from Prison. Those would be the two most obvious places my mind goes when I think about wanting to hear important words. But also there are authors that think through eternal implications and write as men commissioned of God, not to sell books, but instead as a means of building up the church.

No comments: