Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Praise for My Riblet

In our "Marriage Matters" small group, Ashley and I received some homework. The homework that we are instructed to do throughout the week is to think of some things that are praiseworthy in each other and meditate on them throughout the day. Then, we are to offer those words of praise free of any strings or attachments. So, I have been wondering if I am openly encouraging?

The other night I had the privilege of running into a few CSM graduates. I had not seen them in a about 18 months so we were catching up on what everyone has been up to. One graduate congratulated me on my engagement and said something along the lines of, "I am so happy for you and her! You were talking her up so much!" That was encouraging because it says something about the way I talk about Ashley to my students... a graduate remembers that a couple years ago when she was in youth group, I praised Ash. But, that still misses the point. If Ashley never hears the words from my mouth directly to her, she is unaware. So I need to literally let Ash know on a regular basis how much I appreciate her.

That leads me to a homework assignment to you.... who are people in your life that you appreciate? It doesn't have to be a significant other, it can be anyone. Do them (and you) a favor by letting them know how much you appreciate them. Write a letter, send a text, give them a phone call. Whatever you need to do, do not let another day fly bye without showing the love of Christ in a real and tangible way.

No comments: