Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

I am Grateful for Ray Ortlund

Christ is Deeper Still is a wonderful blog written by pastor Ray Ortlund. Today he wrote an earth shattering article on theology, sociology, spiritual pride, and divisiveness within the church. I recommend it to you! And I totally agree with one commenter that said, "If I weren't the only one in the house awake right now, I would stand up and clap!" Well I am in my office clapping. Well done Orlund. Thank you for your keen wisdom.

Here is an excerpt from the post, but I recommend you head over and read the whole thing:
Whatever divides us emotionally from other Bible-believing, Christ-honoring Christians is a “plus” we’re adding to the gospel. It is the Galatian impulse of self-exaltation. It can even become a club with which we bash other Christians, at least in our thoughts, to punish, to exclude and to force into line with us.

What unifies the church is the gospel. What defines the gospel is the Bible. What interprets the Bible correctly is a hermeneutic centered on Jesus Christ crucified, the all-sufficient Savior of sinners, who gives himself away on terms of radical grace to all alike. What proves that that gospel hermeneutic has captured our hearts is that we are not looking down on other believers but lifting them up, not seeing ourselves as better but grateful for their contribution to the cause, not standing aloof but embracing them freely, not wishing they would become like us but serving them in love (Galatians 5:13).

No comments: