Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

On The Book Shelf

Here are some of the books that I am knee deep in right now...

Letters Along the Way by D.A. Carson and John D. Woodbridge
Reading this is my mentorship with Carson right now. The premise of the book is a fictional tale of a character named Timothy Journeyman, a young christian, who begins to correspond with a professor from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Dr. Paul Woodson (Carson and Woodbriges' names combined). It is a series of letters starting from Tim's initial conversion and carrying on through all kinds of struggles of life and even into feeling called to ministry. Tim is always very open about what he is going through and Dr. Woodson gives amazing advise over and over throughout this book. I am about three quarters of the way through and I am loving every page of it.

When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy by John Piper. Piper is one of my favorite authors. This is one of his best works. Piper contends that we should be pursuing our joy in God and has crystallized his life motto in this book. The motto is worth repeating, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him." We are currently in our fighting for joy series at youth group and I am leaning on this book to remind me of the importance of fighting for joy in our walk with Jesus.


The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians by D.A. Carson
I just finished this one and I was so convicted by it. Because of this book I am actually going to go back and change a few posts that I have made about leadership. I was convicted and Carson faithfully explained from the Scriptures the role of the Christian leader. It was brilliant and I was once again humbled at the foot of the cross.




Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan
I read this in hurry the days after it came out. I couldn't put it down. Chan is an amazing man of God and His church and writing bear the marks of following someone so close to Jesus. Ashley (my girlfriend) and myself are going back through this one slowly with the help of the companion DVD so we can get the very most out of it.

Another book that I want to start soon is a biography of Charles Spurgeon. I am waiting for it to come in the mail! I fell in love with Spurgeon a couple years ago when I read Lectures to My Students. I am ready to dive into his life to see what sort of wisdom and encouragement I can pry from him and apply to my life.

No comments: