Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Progressing in the Faith

Most times the bible will answer questions I put to it... It does a pretty good job of defending itself. 

The other night I was tired of doing homework. I was trying desperately to finish my assignments for an Old Testament Survey class that only lasted eight weeks (so much material in such a short amount of time). I was also thinking about the fact that over the past year and a half I have read shelves of books. I feel like my understanding of God is deeper than it has ever been and I feel like it has been a year or so of intense learning and refining for me.

So, I asked the question of whether or not the progress ever plateaus. Maybe someday I will have grey hair and I will sit back and look at the things that I have taught to younger generations, and look at how God has used me and how He sharpened my understanding, and my hope is that it will be easier times?But then the Bible exposed that even though that sounds good, even though it would be good to have sound doctrine and a life to match it, there is never a time to coast. Paul instructs his protege Timothy to progress in the faith so that others can see (1 Timothy 4:15). In context, Paul was talking about living as an example, in faith, in life, in love, and in purity(vs. 12). It also had to do with doctrine (vs. 16). So, the answer to my question is a resounding "NO." I don't ever settle in. I don't coast. Keep progressing in the faith so that others can see and glorify God. 

I hope that over the last year people can notice the ways that I have changed. I hope that people can see the ways that I have increased in godliness and love. And, that is the plan for you also if you call yourself a Christ follower, a life that is progressing in the faith.

Is 2009 your best year yet for displaying Christ? Are you more like Him today then ever before? Let us press on to know Christ more and to display Him to the world.

Let me add a note that this is not something that you achieve on your own accord. You can try all you want to become more like Jesus and think that by your works you are saved. That is not the case. You are not earning favor with God... you already have it. You are not achieving righteousness... Jesus freely gave it to you 2000 years ago. I am talking about 'living up to what we have been called to.' I am talking about the sanctification that God is putting us through to make us more like His Son. It is a process and we do progress. It is described beautifully in 2 Cor 3:18, "And we all, with unveiled faces, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." This is the process that we go through. First off, we see with our spiritual eyes the beauty of Christ, "with unveiled faces beholding the glory of the Lord." Secondly, we are being changed to be made like Jesus, "we are being transformed into the same image [of Jesus whom we are beholding]." Furthermore, it is a process, "from one degree of glory to another." Finally, this transformation is not credited to us, as if we could achieve it on our own, but it is credited to God Himself, "for this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 

We are being changed to be more like Jesus as we see and love Jesus. And this should be evidenced in our lives by noticeable progress. I will never coast. Not if I keep my eyes on Jesus and resist the schemes of Satan. I will always be progressing in godliness and understanding.


No comments: