Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

What's Hindering Your Growth?

If I could apply half of the books and teachings that I expose myself too, I would look quite a bit more godly... the problem is application. I want to share with you maybe the most convicting truths I have come across lately. They are from a textbook that I am reading for a current course at Moody Bible Institute. The title of the textbook is Living by the Book by Howard and William Hendricks. I will give the headings and a quote from each of these topics in chapter 39:

"We substitute interpretation for application
How easy it is to settle for knowledge rather than experience...To know and not to do is not to know at all. Knowledge without obedience is sin."
This is a huge one for me... I want to know a lot about the passage. I want to hear different takes on it. I want to be able to fully comprehend the passage... but, don't let it change me. That's too hard.

"We substitute superficial obedience for substantive life change
Here, we apply biblical truth to areas where we're already applying it, not to new areas where we're not applying it. Result: no noticeable change in our lives."

Have you ever done this before? I have. I love to think of areas that I am already doing well in. That sounds much more pleasant than exposing my weaknesses.

"We substitute rationalization for repentance
Most of us have a built-in early-warning system against spiritual change. The moment truth gets too close, too convicting, an alarm goes off, and we start to defend ourselves. Our favorite strategy is to rationalize sin instead of repenting of it."

We love to justify ourselves. It is as natural as breathing and I can say that this is my routine when scripture challenges me to change.

"We substitute an emotional experience for a volitional decision
That is to say, we study the Word of God, we emote under impact- but we make no real change. There's nothing wrong with responding emotionally to spiritual truth. In fact, believers could stand a lot more of it today. But if that's our only response- if all we do is water our handkerchiefs and sob a few mournful prayers, then go merrily on our way without altering our behavior in the slightest- then our spirituality boils down to nothing more than a vapid emotional experience."

"We substitute communication for transformation
We talk the talk, but we don't walk the walk. We think that if we can speak eloquently or convincingly about a point of Scripture, we're covered. We're off the hook. We've caused others to believe that we've got that biblical truth down. But God is not fooled."
Well, needless to say this chapter called me out. I found it so telling that I had to share it with others. Hopefully we can avoid these 5 pitfalls that are hindering our growth and growing our religion. Be blessed.

No comments: