Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

John Stott's Final Chapter


Last month was a big month for "uncle John," as some call him. The release of his newest and self-proclaimed last book took place mid April. Which was followed by his 89th birthday last week.

His last book is titled, "The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of our Calling" is a beautiful work.

A few years ago Stott wrote a book called "The Living Church" in which, after decades of serving the Church, he wrote a phenomenally profound and incredibly simple book on what the church should be. I was rocked as I read this man's honest assessment of what the Church needs to strive for.

The Radical Disciple had a similar affect. As Stott is now in the final chapter of his life, he is assessing his many years of experience and addressing the generations to come. In this book he looks at what it means to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. He takes up eight different profound yet simple aspects that Christ followers should exhibit.

The eight aspects are rather diverse. I believe that is because he is emphasizing "neglected" aspects. I especially enjoyed the chapter on Simplicity. That is an area that I have often neglected in my discipleship. Stott says, "we resolve to renounce waste and oppose extravagance in personal living, clothing and housing, travel and church buildings" (pg. 76). I will be the first to admit that this is a hard aspect to live up to because I am steeped in materialism!

I am sure this will be a book I return to over and over again.


No comments: