Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Romans 2- So Quick to Judge

"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things." (Romans 2:1).

Why is it so natural to judge? As I sit here and try to think of things and people that I condemn, I am having a hard time coming up with a substantial list. The reason however, is not because I do not judge, but because it is so natural that I hardly give a thought to it. The reality is that I judge all the time. I judge people that I come in contact with, I judge the performance of others, I judge the attitudes displayed by others, I judge motives, I judge content, I judge, I judge, I judge.

Now the reason why this passage is so indicting is because it says, "you who pass judgement do the same things." It would be one thing if I was morally blameless. However, the reality is when I am judging something or someone else, I am judging something that I myself do or have done.

We all stand guilty. We are each guilty of being annoying, guilty of not looking or acting a certain way, guilty of flaws, guilty of making mistakes, guilty of reacting wrongly, and most damning-- guilty of treason against God. But, God in His infinite kindness, tolerance, and patience, has lead us to repentance (vs. 4). Imagine for a moment, that God actually gave you what you deserve... Recently the Great Accuser has marched my most embarrassing sins through my mind in an effort to discourage. They are absolutely terrible sins that I wish I could undue. Take a moment to think through some of the utterly despicable things you have done.... What if God treated you as your sins deserved? We would all be in a lot of trouble. Yet, God in his grace has redeemed us by Jesus' death on a cross. Amazing! But let us press this even further. Even after your conversion, you still do things that are absolutely punishable. This week even, when given the option of obedience or sin, you chose sin. (I'm not a prophet. I simply know my own flaws and think they are common to humanity.) But, God is still patient with you!?! Isn't this bizarre?!?

In 1555 John Bradford was burned at the stake for being a protestant Christian. He was known as a compassionate and Christ-like man. Also, he had made a habit of cultivating a life of repentance. Meaning, he made it his ambition to see his own flaws and shortcomings and repent of them quickly. One of the practices that he was known for, I heavily recommend to you: When Bradford would see criminals being lead out to execution he would say, "There but for the grace of God go John Bradford." (Rediscovering Holiness, by JI Packer pg. 116).

We live in a world of broken and messed up people. We need to be careful that we do not judge others for what we ourselves do. Whenever I see someone who is stumbling through life, making mistakes, and sinning, I should remind myself, "there but for the grace of God goes Cory Williams."

No comments: