Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Things I Love | The Church

























There was a time in my life when I questioned the institution called the church. I think it was popular at the time and I was young enough and arrogant enough to swallow that pill... but, God in His goodness, helped me to see the beauty of the church.

In Ephesians we are told that Jesus is making His Bride ready by the washing of the Word. In February of 2007, God put that verse on my heart and life. I saw the importance of the church and the necessity of the washing of the Word. People need the church because it is God's agent of change in the world. God has chosen to change the world through communities of His people. Those people when gathered are called the Church. Historically, churches have been the primary means by which disciples make disciples. The Church is the implication of the gospel. When you understand the gospel aright, it is natural that you see a church planting movement. That is the story of Acts in the New Testament. Leaders that plant churches, that plant churches, that plant churches, until Jesus returns.

So, I am a church guy. I love the church and I will give my life to her. But to be fair to those that are a little skeptical of the institution... I do not see the church with rose colored lenses. I see the potential and also the misgivings. I know that there is no perfect church this side of eternity. Even the famed Acts 2 church became an Acts 5 church. What I mean is that the church we boast about in Acts 2 had a short lived glory day before it became a place where deception occurred (Acts 5), and a place where strife and division brewed (Acts 6). The early churches all had issues. That's how we got our New Testament. Paul, Peter, James, and John were all writing churches that they planted, to address problems facing the church and within the church. That being said, yes the church has problems, but it is God's Bride. It is the hope of the World. And it is worth your life. What else could you give yourself to that so perfectly aligns the heart of God?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

youn are invited to follow my blog