Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Two Thieves

"Just as Christ was crucified between two thieves, so this doctrine of justification is ever crucified between two opposite errors.” -Tertullian

Dr. Tim Keller has helped me immensely in distinguishing these two false notions of God's saving work. Keller in his article on The Centrality of the Gospel quotes and unpack's Tertullian's statement. Pointing out that true salvation is found between two false notions. And we must be aware of these thieves.

Thief number 1) Legalism
Legalism says I am right with God because of the things that I do. For instance, we can believe that we are saved based on our ability to adhere to the law. Am I living up to God's standard in my life? If no, then I am obviously damned. If yes, then God owes me salvation.

In Christian circles, this legalism can be expressed in many different forms; Church attendance, giving, bible reading, and many more. But legalism is a dirty thief that steals our joy and misrepresents God as an employer bound to give us fair wages based on our work.

Thief number 2) Antinomianism
This thief gets its named from the Greek ἀντί (anti), "against" + νόμος (nomos), "law". It essentially dismisses the moral law of God as no longer applicable. Antinomianism is subtle and usually creeps in when people wrongly over-apply the justification of God. It belittles sin, makes God sound very gracious, and allows the person to live guilt free.

People that have antinomian tendencies live loose, dismiss sin, avoid controversy, and claim that the Spirit leads them in matters of holiness. Bonhoeffer rightly names this "cheap grace" and "the biggest enemy of the church today."

So how are we to view justification?

Justification when rightly understood, shows that God declares the wicked to be righteous. He says about Cory Williams, "he is righteous." That is an amazing declaration. I know myself. I know my flaws. I know my lack of righteousness. So, this justification has an affect on me. I see the cost of my salvation... namely, the infinitely precious Messiah being crucified. I see the perfect standard of God met by Jesus. Jesus lived a perfect life and was righteous. Yet God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on my behalf. He punished the undeserving so that I could go free. Then, justification rightly understood compels me to pursue holiness, moral purity, and right living. I want to live how Christ desires. I see what it cost to rescue me. I couldn't possibly willingly go on in sin.

In the words of Keller, when justification is understood right we say, "I am more sinful and flawed than I ever dared believe" and, "I am more accepted and loved than I ever dared hope."

No comments: