Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Things I Love | Missions


























As I write about "Things I Love" I am becoming aware that there was a particular experience that brought about my loves... At the end of 2006 I blew out my knee... During the same time, my wife now--girlfriend at the time--moved in to Chicago. We made it work for about a short time, then we split. Frankly, I was angry at God. I was depressed and upset. I was hurting.

God used that time to refine me. He was teaching me new things and recommissioning me for His service. In January of 2007 I went to the Passion Conference in Atlanta Georgia with some friends from Heartland Church. Two of the keynotes there were John Piper and Francis Chan. They brought the Word.

I left that experience with more questions than answers. It just so happened that I was about to depart for a month long adventure to Nairobi Kenya. So I loaded up my ipod with Chan and Piper sermons and boarded a plane. For a month I served with the children of the Kibera slum with First Love Kenya. Many of the kids were orphans.

That experience, or I should say, that season of life had a huge influence over me. God was doing something to me... in me.

Out of that came a passion for world missions. Specifically, frontier missions. If what people need most is the gospel--and it is, and if God uses missions to spread the gospel--and He does, then we need to be about missions.

I pray that God will raise up a new generation of workers to do His work. I pray that there will be people that give their lives to make sure that all nations have heard of Him.

No comments: