Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Curse We Place on our Kids

So, I had this rogue thought bouncing around in my head last week while attending the Student Life Conference which, by the way, was phenomenal! My renegade thought however was not so awesome. There are only a few times during the year where I am surrounded by the youth ministry culture and that causes me to make a few observations. This particular observation is unfortunately negative...

It has to do with the unfortunate trend in our culture and in our churches which has been termed "adultescence". The issue is that kids no longer grow up. They extend the adolescence years well into their adult lives and therefore never really grow up. The Rebelution has written much on this topic and I encourage you to read up on it here. Now here is my plee for youth workers; Grow Up.

Why is it that the ministry to students attracts kids in grown up bodies? Why are churches willing to let their youth pastors act more childish than some of the mature jr high students? So, instead of acting like a kid to gain cool points I beg that more youth workers would act like men and women of God that students can look up to and emulate. Wouldn't it be crazy to see our students desire to take up jobs, to be committed, to be mature, to have loyalty, and do all this to the glory of Christ? That is my desire. Please pray for those working with students to "man up."

Otherwise, we are breeding more adult kids. And, adult kids are not going to advance the gospel. They are too busy being distracted by childish things like if mom did the laundry.

Let me also add to this discussion that this doesn't mean that I am advocating for men in suits who never grin or never have fun. God created fun and laughter and sarcasm, etc... so we need to engage in fun and do it to the glory of God. But, we also need to be responsible, contribute to society, have long term goals, be committed, display loyalty, and the like. So grow up and have fun. It is possible.

No comments: