Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Acts 21- Posturing

"there on the beach we knelt to pray" (vs. 5b).

Hmmm. So they literally got down on their knees to pray?

How often does our prayer life suffer... we may have had good times of prayer pouring out of us before, but it can be like a slow inconsistent drip too. I have intentions of praying often, but most days I am distracted. Other things nab my attention and at the end of most days all my prayers add up to an insignificant amount.

I think there is something to this posture of prayer, this idea of kneeling. I remember when reading Tozer's biography that he had a pair of prayer trousers that he left at his church office... He didn't want to wear out all his pants so he had a special pair with holes in the knees from praying!?

In my travels as a sports minister I got to meet an interesting guy named Mr. Ralph Meloon. Chairman of Correct Craft Boats. He was such a man of prayer that he actually had to have the fluid in his knees drained on a couple occasions.

Maybe, prayer life suffers because we never place ourselves in a position of awe and reverence... when is the last time you knelt to pray? Try it out today.

No comments: