Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On The Desk










Owen: Hebrews in the Crossway Classic Commentaries Series.
This commentary breaks down Owen's massive 14 volume work on Hebrews to a healthy two 'hundo' page book. I can handle it a little at a time but it takes some thinking power to stick with Owen's tough analytical mind. Well worth the work though.








Let's Study Hebrews by Hywel R Jones
Super accessible commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews. Jones breaks the book into short sections focusing on units of thought. He had some really insightful comments on the idea of Pilgrimage. It brought the situation of the Hebrews to life.








Applying the Sermon by Daniel Overdorf
I'm only a little way into this fascinating read. Let me quote the first two sentences:
"Sermon application frightens me. I find some comfort knowing that others share my fears."
I underlined these sentences and wrote a little remark beside them, "ME TOO!" Looking forward to working through this one.










The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges
Gospel 101. That is what this book feels as I open it up. Bridges has a phenomenal ability to take abstract concepts that surround the gospel and make them very understandable. A couple good examples of these are the concepts of propitiation and expiation. Bridges is able to steer the reader to understand these concepts without feeling like you're reading a seminary textbook. It is beautiful really. Earlier today I was tearing up at my desk as Bridges told a tale of a young boy running away from home after rebelling under the care of his loving parents. It was simply an illustration but it was so compelling and so vivid. When the boy pleaded for a chance to come home and brought his friend with to hear him apologize... I was gripped. Excellent job Bridges! One of my co-workers walked into my office and was taken aback by my teary eyes... "I got something in my eye man." Just kidding!

No comments: