Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Disciplines of Grace by Bridges






Disciplines of Grace by Jerry Bridges

This is the second book that I have read by Bridges, the first being Pursuit of Holiness. He is quickly climbing my list of favorite authors. I was completely blown away by the depth of this man's understanding of the gospel. There are very few books that have rocked me to the extent that this book did and does. Simply put, this is one of the better books that I have read in a while. Bridges is very concise and readable. He doesn't waste a lot of ink with big words or confusing arguments. The book is crystal clear in its application of the gospel: “your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God’s grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the needof God’s grace.” There isn't a page in my copy without some sort of underlining or writing in the margins. As great as the authors of old are, Bridges (in my opinion) eclipses them because of his accessibility. A jr high student could pick up a copy and understand while a seminary professor could also benefit from reading this. Bridges is the perfect wedding of deep deep theological truths with readability. Well done.

No comments: