Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Luke 14 -Be Humble or Be Humbled

What a refreshing story Jesus has for us today... As I continue doing ministry there is a theme that is prevalent throughout everything I do. It is this: I have no clue what I am doing. In fact, I don't even think I am that great at the things I am doing. So, as I listen to Jesus speak about a wedding feast and the proud being humbled I am kind of thankful for my ignorance.

"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. For every who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Verses 8-11)

It was weird to me to hear that an mission organization working in Africa noticed that American seminary students were not being allowed to preach. The response from the African director was this, "The American students are not taught the whole counsel of God. When they are ready they will preach." What does that mean? Why did that statement sting so bad the first time I heard it and yet it rang so true. Previously, I thought I was knew it all. I thought that America housed the smartest and most well versed Christians, but when I was exposed to Christians in Haiti and Africa I was humbled. I realized that I did not deserve a place of honor. I was seating myself at a place of honor but what I am finding out is that I should be on the floor. I should be observing other Christians throughout history that actually believed that their citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:20), Christians that sacrifice like Jesus sacrificed (obviously not to the same extent). As a comfortable, well liked, overly listened to, well respected, casual, luke-warm, mediocre Christian I should probably be sitting on the floor at the banquet and not trying to elbow my way to the important seat. I have much to learn.

How does this play out? Do you think you know how Church should be run? How music should be played? Or what we should talk about during sermons? Do you think you understand the word? Or know how to talk to the Most High?

How arrogant of me to think that 2000 years after Jesus died on a cross, Cory Williams came on the scene and then things really got going?! A 26 year old from Illinois has the mysteries of our faith figured out. HA, what a laugh! I promise that if I have said or wrote anything of value to you it is by the Grace of an Almighty God that He put a word in my mouth or spoke through my pen. And, likewise is if you think that you have life figured out or that you deserve to be honored above anyone else. If you think you are more important than your co-workers or class mates or friends be warned. "Everyone who exults himself will be humbled."

No comments: