Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Luke 9- Sending Out the Twelve

"...he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. He told them: "Take nothing for the journey- no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic."" (Luke 9:2-3)

What an awesome training! As a rabbi Jesus wants to put his followers in situations that are going to make them trust Him and trust God the father even more. He sends out his disciples with the instructions, "preach the Word, bring nothing to help you on your journey, trust God." I am inferring two of those statements. You won't find, "preach the word" anywhere in those two verses and Jesus doesn't literally say, "trust God" but you can definitely see that is the point of this rabbinical commission. I learned this lesson the hard way too. Jesus sent me out. To Florida to pioneer a ministry. I had little to nothing, just what I could fit in my little green VW Jetta. I only had $200 on me, which would translate into a couple of hotel stays if I couldn't find a place to live. It took a lot of trust. It is not easy to go without a game plan, or provisions, or a bag, or staff, or money, or tunic. But, I will speak from my experience and say these word that are hard to wrap your mind around, "God is enough." He always provides and always comes through. (Though not always the way we think He should)

Look at the outcome of their obedience in verse 6: "so they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere." Don't you desire that of your life? Don't you want to be someone that Jesus has given "power and authority" to (vs. 1)? That actually gets to see lives changed for His glory? I certainly do! Let me tell you this, God wants you to live a life like that! He wants you to be obedient and he wants to wield you to preach the good news with your lives, using words if need be. He wants to change others lives by using yours and all you have to do is trust and go in the authority of Jesus!

No comments: