Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

Bible For Dummies

I had fun with this one... it might have been the strangest message that I have ever given. Not that the content was weird, just the time leading up to it. I fell asleep when I should have been diligently studying the scriptures preparing to preach. Then I awoke, "you sluggard! Consider the way of the ant and be wise" (Proverbs 6: 6). Rushing to the church I began to repent, "what a wicked and lazy man I am, sleeping in the midst of difficulty." Then terror struck when I realized that I could not find my bible!?! I had it earlier that morning as I did worship prep for big church and now I realized that I might have left it in the dream center, which I do not have keys for!? I found myself in the middle of a battle without my greatest weapon...

This all struck me as very odd because I have been reading Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan, and my story paralleled the main character's predicament. Christian from Pilgrims Progress falls asleep and is awakened, "go to the ant; you sluggard. consider her ways and be wise." Realizing his folly Christian quickly wakes up to continue on his journey. After traveling a great distance he reaches in his cloak and realizes that he misplaced his sacred scroll. In the story Christian is able to go back and find his scroll and likewise I retraced my steps to find my bible. God redeemed both Christian and myself by aiding us even more than usual after our blunders.

I cracked the Sacred Scroll last night and asked God for his supernatural equipping and I preached as boldly as I could about His Book and all of its benefits. I hope that it helped our students to fall in love with the Word. Blessed is the man ...who delights in the law of the Lord... and on his law he meditates day and night (Psalm 1:1-2)

No comments: