Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Unbalanced

I know this might seem contradictory to the previous article but so what? It is truth. There are certain areas that I want to be unbalanced. And some areas where I don't have a choice. hehehe



The area that I want to be most unbalanced in is my pursuit of Jesus. This is an all out lopsided crazy pursuit at the expense of joyfully giving everything. I think a major theme can be missed in Jesus' teachings; you might not make the cut. Pastors might not make the cut (1 Timothy 4:16), apostles might not make the cut (1 Corinthians 9:27), disciples might not make the cut (Acts 5), and prophets might not make the cut (Jeremiah 23).



Jesus shares so much about the narrow road and narrow gate that only a few find. Broad is the road and wide is the gate that leads to destruction. Narrow is the way that leads to life (Matthew 7). "Are only a few going to be saved," one person asked Jesus? His response: "Make every effort to enter through the narrow gate because many will stand at the door and knock and I will say to them plainly, "away from me I never knew you (Matthew 13)."" Wives, jobs, property, and many other things will all be a distraction from God (Luke 14). Jesus speaks plainly about this and I apologize that pastors do not speak more boldly on this subject. It should make us all cringe at the thought of people saying, "but Jesus you taught in our streets, we prophesied in your name, and even drove out demons" but He will tell them plainly, "away from me you evil doers" (Matthew 7:21-23 and Luke 13:26-27).


Not every one who says to me Lord Lord will enter the kingdom. -Jesus


Ok, tell me if in light of those texts you want to hold anything back in following him? No way! That makes me want to go crazy and if someone tells me that I am too radical in my pursuit then I will show them why, "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize (1 Corinthians 9:27)." I might be unbalanced. But, I think I am justified in doing this. The man who found the treasure in the field joyfully sold everything so he could purchase the field. The merchant who found a pearl of such great value sold everything he had so he could have that pearl (Matthew 13). That is how it is with God. When you realize what you get, you joyfully give up everything for him. You become unbalanced, you throw caution to the wind, you recklessly pursue Him, and you do it in a way that others might think you are crazy... But here is the truth: You would be crazy not to.

No comments: