Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

Luke 18 -Always Pray and Never Give Up

I'm going to be honest... I have been a professing christian almost my whole life... I have been a regenerate (God took my dead heart and jump started it bringing it to life) Christian for 8 years. So, I have put some miles on my knees. I have prayed and prayed often. Here is what I am being honest about; lately I have had a hard time with prayer. In fact, over the past couple weeks I was honest with God saying, "I am sick of praying. I am sick of talking to an invisible person, and right now I feel like I don't even do a good job of 'praying,' whatever that word even means." Prayer is tricky. It is a weird thing. You are talking to an invisible and Almighty God. There are petitions, intercessions, supplications, thanksgivings, brief chats, lengthy discourses, silent prayer, praying aloud, group prayer, prayer meeting prayers, praying in tongues, prayer language, praying scriptures, praying the names of God, written out prayers, pray for fun, pray for answers, etc... needless to say, if you are honest at some point you have to say that we don't have it figured out. And, the last thing I need is another book on praying. Lately, I've just been saying to God, 'I can't wait to see you face to face. I can't wait to talk to you. To hear your voice. I am sick of this waiting period. I can't wait to be with you."

But, for the time God has given us prayer. And Jesus tells us to 'always pray not give up (vs. 1).' So, be persistent. God answers those that cry out to him. He hears your prayers. That is weird to even think about. Almighty God hears me. And Jesus tells a parable of a persistent widow constantly approaching a judge to ask for justice to show his disciples to always pray and never give up. Then immediately tells a parable of two different men and there prayers to show that humility is a good thing when praying. So, I will continue to approach the throne with trembling. I will continue to come to God humbly with my head down saying, 'God have mercy on me a sinner.' I don't totally understand praying but lately I've been convicted that I am the pharisee in verse 10 or the hypocrite in Matthew 6. Unfortunately, working at a church makes you pray all the time... and in front of people... and for people. I have fallen pray to letting my prayers get lengthy, quoting scriptures in prayer, preaching in prayers, and not coming to God with my head down unable to look up towards heaven like the tax collector in the parable. Only one man goes home justified. The man who was humble. I have arrogantly stormed into the King's Courtyard and talked like a fool running my mouth. Thanks be to God for correcting my prayers. I looked into the mirror of the Word and saw the dirt of iniquity on my face. I saw the errors of my speech. And He graciously forgave me.

What do your prayers look like. Are you persistent? Will the Son of Man find faith when he comes (vs. 8)?

Or, are you a little too bold? Do you enter the throne room and ramble. Pray today that God would fix your prayers. That he would give you a healthy view of this sacred tradition and someday we will stand with and talk face to face with our King of Kings!?!

No comments: