Pages

Monday, June 30, 2008

Luke 23-Vehemently Accusing Him

Oh, that we would stop being the people in chapter 19 that sang praises to Jesus as he entered Jerusalem and then probably participated in the crowd that yelled to Pilate, "Crucify him! Crucify him!"

We have that tendency in each of us. Remember how sweet the sound of a redeemer sounded when you first heard! We each so passionately sang, "blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord! (Luke 19:38, Psalm 118:26)" But who cut in on you? Satan began to whisper only 4 chapters later, 'this man brings trouble, he stirs up the people.' So, the people cried out to crucify him. And, we fall prey to the same mentality... so quick to sing praises and then dishonor God only a little later when we realize his Kingdom is not what we anticipated. It is offensive. It isn't about me?! I want a different kind of Messiah that brings me prosperity and peace, now!

You might argue that I am making some major assumptions to think that the song singers in Chapter 19 were there in Chapter 23... but, if they were not participating in the mob, then where were they? They weren't standing up for Him. If nothing else we can assume that. They didn't defend their king. They were scared and withdrew. Maybe, that is a better picture of your Christianity. You sing loud at church when the people next to you are worshiping and the music is loud enough to drown out your voice, but what happens when things get tough? Do you stand up for your faith then?

This is my experience and it is breaking my heart lately... I am definitely a song singer from Luke 19. I definitely sing the praises of Jesus of Nazareth as he triumphantly enters... but then the people I can relate with the best in chapter 23 are the chief priests and the teachers of the law... I actually, by my life, spit curses on Jesus. Vehemently! I sin and offend my savior to his face condemning him on that cross. What a wretched man I am?!? Thanks be to Jesus that he was so gracious as to see my waywardness before time began and resolved to forgive me completely! Thanks be to Jesus that He is making it impossible for me to continue to sin against him without feeling complete heart ache and brokenness! Thanks be to Jesus that he uttered the words, "Father forgive him for he knows not what he does." Oh, how sweet those words are to me, the accuser that placed Him on the cross?!

If that doesn't move you then friend you are dead. The story of the cross is the sweetest and most glorious truth that has ever crushed me with its glory! I am forever in debt to the work that Jesus did on my behalf on that cross. Words will continue to fail me as I attempt to tell others about this magnificent truth. Maybe this ancient Hymn will help us to vent our adoration.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown


O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near and bless
Your name


Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all

Wonderful Cross by Isaac Watts

No comments: