Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

Pastor's Library

I am a book worm lately... I never received a formal education for ministry so that puts me in a desperate position. One that needs to figure out, and quickly I might add, how to do ministry in a way that honors God. So, I read a lot. I am constantly trying to gleam wisdom from Pastors, ministers, and authors that have withstood the test of time. I have to emphasize time tested because in our culture the world teaches us to look to the newest novelty. This is a broken mindset that thinks that the newest books, ideas, concepts, and teachings are relevant and old stuff is just old stuff. Wrong! Our faith is ancient. We should be looking backwards instead of forwards. Anyways, here are the books that you can find me reading.



The One Year Bible
Every pastor should be working his way through the bible at least once a year is what the late Dr. Martyn Lloyd Jones said (paraphrased). I believe this to be true. I think I am spiritually healthiest when I have one hand grasping an old testament story, the other clutching a letter to one of the churches in the new testament, while my heart is praising God through a psalm, being instructed by a proverb, all the while aware that all these elements lead me to the cross.

Morning and Evening by C.H. Spurgeon
This is an incredible devotional that I read regularly. It helps me keep focused on the work that Christ achieved on the cross and is achieving in me today.

My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
This is an anointed devotional. I am constantly staggered by how prophetic these words are. Year after year this little devotional speaks to my life and to the lives of my close friends and family in a way that makes this a must read.

Preaching and Preachers by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
This man has stood under the counsel of God for the majority of his life. He spoke with passion and conviction and now has imparted his wisdom to anyone seeking to understand the call to the ministry of 'preaching the Word'. It is practical and insightful and I praise God for this book.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
In a recent staff meeting we talked about the spiritual warfare at work in our ministry and lives. We want to be wise and aware of the schemes of Satan... So, I picked up this book once again to learn from the brilliant and insightful mind of Lewis.

Pilgrims Progress pt. 2 by John Bunyan
I began to read the account of Christiana's journey to the Celestial City and I am thoroughly impressed. If you want a book that is saturated in scripture and helpful to your own personal pilgrimage to heaven, then I suggest both works of Pilgrims Progress. These stories are bringing to life the doctrines found in the Bible. I am thankful that Bunyan penned these helpful stories.

Biblical Exegesis by John Piper(online resource available at www.hopeingod.org)
This resource is helping me to go deeper into the scriptures to obtain valuable pearls.

There are other books that I am going to read in the near future and ones that have been loaned to me that I need to get to. So, be patient with me. Pray that God will always keep me fresh and near to Him.

No comments: