Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Luke 19-Patiently Work

Eschatology is the study of end times... It basically says that Jesus is coming back and there are so many passages in the Bible that attempt to prepare us for that day... I personally cannot wait. I cannot wait to be done with sin. I cannot wait to have Him wipe the tears from my eyes. For Him to clothe me in glory and place a crown on my head. I can't wait to have the veil removed and to see Him in His splendor and majesty. I love Him and I am homesick. I want Him. I want to be near Him. I want to revel in Him. I want to worship Him.

Jesus, in Luke 19, tells a parable about 3 different workers and their Master. In verse 11 Luke indicates that the reason Jesus told this parable is because Jesus was nearing Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once. This parable speaks to me in a couple ways today. The Kingdom of God does not simply appear at once... It is either gradual or far off but not at once. I think I interpret this that God is slowly building His Kingdom of followers and then he shows up like a thief in the night and establishes His Kingdom. It doesn't just appear. It is gradual. It is you and me telling others about the King. It is you and me actually living like Jesus did and little by little the Kingdom will forcefully advance as forceful men lay hold (Matthew 11:12). But, this has implications. We are responsible for the work. God gives us talents, abilities, experiences, money, and Minas that He wants us to use to further His Kingdom. He left. He entrusted us with the business of telling others in preparation for that Great Day. He will return and take account of how we worked. Woe to the man who hid his talents. He will be stripped. Woe to the people who didn't want Jesus to be King!

Understand also that this is not a faith by works... Your work doesn't earn you status as a Christ follower. The three in the parable were already employed. This is saying that after you have been called you should steward your gifts well. You should be working for the King because you love Him and adore Him and are indebted to Him for what He did on the cross. Not to earn anything from Him.

How are you putting to work the things God has entrusted you with? Did you hide them? Or, are you increasing the Kingdom by using them for His Glory? Know this... He is coming. I don't want to be found idle. He is the best King to serve and His benefits are unmeasurable! Let's not be lazy or timid with the responsibility Jesus has entrusted to us.

No comments: