Pages

Monday, April 7, 2008

Luke 1 - Orderly Account

In chapter one of the Gospel of Luke we find an interesting introduction that isn't found in any of the other synaptic gospels. Luke gives an introduction to his writing and what he intends to do through it. Luke is a physician and is the author of Luke and Acts. He actually wrote more than any other new testament writer including Paul and John. But, I love verse 3; "since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you..." Luke is saying that he was an eye witness to the life of Jesus, he was a follower, and not only that, he investigated. So, he endeavors to write the account of Jesus of Nazareth and his forerunner John. "So that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught." (Verse 4) As we read through the Gospel of Luke I want verse four to replay over and over in your head, "I am reading this... 'so that I know the certainty of the things I have been taught.'" The Gospel of Luke I hope will not only inform you of the life of Jesus but will confirm the Gospel in your heart and mind. I know this is the third Gospel that we are going through but I hope and pray that you meet Jesus in a new and fresh way. Luke is careful to write with attention to detail and precision so I hope that you pick up every nuance of Jesus. That you can see his passion and heart as we study and meditate through Luke.

No comments: