Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Luke 6 -Blessings and Woes

"Blessed are you who are poor for yours is the kingdom of God." (vs. 20)

We are exceedingly rich. The majority of people on the planet live for a couple of bucks a day. You didn't read that last sentence wrong. Literally most people have nothing. You are so rich. But Jesus says, "blessed are the poor because theirs is the kingdom of God." We have to figure out how to be poor in spirit. We have to figure out how to be desperate for God. People that are actually poor live everyday asking God for provisions and praising Him when they survive another day. But, we can manage a whole week without even hardly thinking about God?! That is dangerous. In fact Jesus says in verse 24, "but woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort." As a rich American I need to force myself to be desperate for God. I need to read passages like this that warn me from setting in and being comfortable. That warn me from dashing my ship on the rocks of richness.

No comments: