Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Luke 2 -Pray More


In verses 36-38 I was struck with awe at the account of Anna... Mary and Joseph brought baby Jesus to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord and to make the appropriate sacrifices. During this trip they meet a couple of interesting characters. One is a man called Simeon who was righteous and devout and God had revealed to him that he would see the Christ before he died. Moved by the Spirit Simeon went and saw Jesus and said many incredible things about the child. Which is an awesome story but I want to focus on the second encounter. They met a woman named Anna who was a prophetess. Anna "spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem." (vs 38)

I know that most people would be completely overwhelmed at the sight of God as a baby. I am sure the Spirit would cause such a deep sense of wonder as you look at the Creator of the universe wrapped in clothes and in the arms of a mere human?! But, I think there is something special about Anna. The Bible says that she lived with her husband for 7 years, then he passed and she was a widow until age 84. In verse 37 we see what kind of amazing woman Anna is when it says, "she never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying." That line right there rocked me this morning. Does the bible really mean that Anna was always praising God? Always fasting and praying? For months? For years? Until she was 84? YEP. Anna was a prophetess that was after God's heart. She dedicated herself to worship, praying, fasting. She was just looking after the ways of God. I am extremely encouraged by Anna. Because when you see someone else living that way it gives you no excuse. If I told you that you should always pray, always fast, always worship, you might respond saying, "that is unrealistic, no one does that!?" But when scripture gives us an example of someone that took God that seriously, we are without excuse. I am convinced that I need to be praying more. That I need to be on my face before God begging for you and your future. That I need to be at the temple day and night asking God that He would work in the hearts and minds of the students and leaders of CSM. I am without excuse, Anna did it, so should I. Prayer is powerful and effective. Let's do it more.

No comments: