Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Spiritual Hold Up

This has been on my heart for about a week... I was recently talking with someone about the dangers in Nairobi Kenya. I have been to Kenya on several occasions including this past January when the elections erupted and the nation was in turmoil.

We were talking about an instance when someone was held up in an attempt to get money from them... This is common in underdeveloped countries and even in major cities like LA or Detroit. But this particular story took place in Kenya. The tendency that we have as reasonable responsible people is to avoid any situations that could lead us into a similar setting. So, we avoid high crime areas like the bad parts of Detroit or LA and we definately avoid places like Kenya. I mean who would willingly put themselves in harms way?!

Here are my thoughts; first, if you trust that you are a better watchman than God over your own life, you are sadly mistaken. I could die in South Beloit today and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. My heart could stop beating because I drank too much coffee this morning and it feels like it might leap out of my chest and then stop working. I could ride my bike to work tomorrow and get clipped by a car. The reality that I have to live with is that safety is a myth. Comfort is actually a spiritual killer, and that God is more trustworthy than a risk analysis agent. I trust him in Kenya, I trust him in Detroit, I trust him in LA, period, the end.

Secondly, I am in far more danger here than Kenya. If I believe the bible to be true then I understand that my body and my life are fleeting. That my spirit and my soul are eternal. That I should place more emphasis on the health of my soul than the comforts of my worldly life. That being held up at gunpoint in Kenya would actually gain for me an eternal reward (whether I die in that moment or I am spared and continue to minister). And, that the gun barrel of this world is actually jammed down my throat and ready to destroy me. Think about this with me. How many different worldly guns are pointed at you today? Will you watch TV today? Will you surf the internet? Those are both tools that Satan wants to use to destroy you. Not that all TV and internet use is bad, it is just a convenient instrument for our enemy. Then it gets even worse. There are barrels that don't even have the appearance of evil. You can go to church and be spiritually held up. There are many that have the 'appearance of godliness but deny the power' (1 Timothy 3:5) and they attend worship services?!?! You can be exposed to them and actually become like them. I am far more scared of that than any light and momentary trouble of physical danger. I am more worried for family and friends that they will be spiritually held up and that they don't even see the dangers. What spiritual dangers have you found yourself in today? Realize how camouflaged the enemy is in America. It is not always easy to see and sometimes we mistake the enemy for our friend. Ask God to reveal to you today different things that pose a threat to your spiritual well being. Then go on the offense and rid yourself of those threats.

No comments: