Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

John 4- Worshiping in Spirit And Truth

"...True worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers that the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." -Jesus

Yesterday I was talking with some students about one of the more exceptional gifts... speaking in tongues. We were discussing what we thought by it and I was trying to be careful not to impose my thoughts on the topic but also not to allow anyone to have dumb ideas about it. But, I think I erred on the side of being overly cautious. God is spirit. And I think the church doesn't have a way to cope with this statement, "God is spirit." I mean we know that there is a Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost. We know that the bible says that Jesus promises this spirit to his believing followers. We know that the bible says that he is transforming us by his spirit and that the spirit is living in us.

But, what the heck does that mean?! It is rare to see spirit transformed individuals... Usually, I find a bunch of people that say they know Jesus, but I couldn't tell the difference between them and anyone else!? So, I think because of an absence of the Spirit we don't know what to make of gifts that require so much of the Spirit to even be possible. Think about it; the only way that someone could speak in a different language that they have no training in and actual communicate the Gospel of God is by a phenomenal act of the Spirit. Most other 'gifts' can be faked and can ride on the strength of man. Unfortunately, in my experience they do in a lot of places... However, tongues cannot be faked. If it is faked then it sounds and looks stupid I am sure. We should pray for a deeper understanding of the spiritual realm because God is spirit. We shouldn't scoff at a display of the spirit simply because we are so unspiritual that it doesn't make sense to us.

Which brings us back to the text... "the time is coming when worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth." The time is coming. If it would please God, I pray that I am one of those worshipers. I pray that I would understand what it means to worship in spirit and truth. And I pray that I can help lead our youth group to be and do that as well. I understand worshiping in truth. I know there are plenty of people that worship false notions of God and he is Truth. He does not allow ignorant idol worship to pass as anything close to worshipping the One true God.... So we need a right understanding of who He is. And, this is found wed to the Words inscribed in his Book. But, worshiping in spirit is something that I know I need to work on. I need to pray for a display, for an indwelling, for a manifestation of God Himself in Spirit, and for an understanding of how to worship Him in Spirit.

God please crush my puny understanding of you. Blow in here in a way that shatters windows and knocks down walls. Don't let my stupid understanding of you stifle what you want to do here!? God teach us to be worshipers that worship you in spirit and in truth. Let us be a group of worshipers that you are seeking! If it pleases you, teach us to worship you!

No comments: