Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Connecting Modern Teens to our Ancient Faith

This is a question that dominated my thoughts today... if I was in jr high or high school today... what would I want Pastor Cory to do? Ok, let me clarify. If I was a jr high student that was as far from God as any Wii playing, burp and fart joking, Hannah Montana watching, come to youth group because my parents want me out of the house, call myself a christian yet I have no idea what that means beyond a vague label. If I was that kind of kid (and the Beloit area is filled with them) what would be most beneficial to my faith?

Intense bible studies... BORING
Dry preaching... BORING
Small groups with shallow questions that I feel can be answered with, "God, Jesus, or Bible" ...BORING

I need youth group to be dynamic and riveting. I need to be shown why God is more exciting than shopping or Halo 3 or dating. I need leaders to be passionate and caring. I need someone to tell me that God loves me and prove it. I need a lot.

I don't need to be more entertained. I don't want to simply come to youth group to continue doing things I can do from home like watching videos or playing games... I want to meet God. If He is so great then why isn't He more of the priority at Church?

God give us wisdom to lead students to you. Help us to make you the priority. Help us to show you as our treasure. Help us to work harder to make you famous. Strengthen your workers for the task. Amen

No comments: