Pages

Friday, September 19, 2008

John 8- Come to Church and Be Offended

Right now I would say our youth group is going through some growing pains... Just like the ministry of Jesus, sometimes Jesus allows the group to whittle(chapter 6) and then rebuilds. We are in the heart of whittling. But, as I have noticed over the past couple chapters of John, Jesus is committed to saying and doing the hard things. He is committed to teaching the truth about a loving compassionate Father in heaven that is relentless about holiness. Jesus doesn't pull any punches. Then after Jesus establishes his core group they begin a ministry that changes the world literally. Let that be our prayer for this youth group. But, let's not miss the many difficulties that Jesus handles on the way...

"You are slaves to sin... Abraham is not your father... God is not your father... you're actually children of the Devil. (vs 34, 39-40, 42, 44)" You think that is a message we could preach at youth group? If I told you that you are a slave to sin and said, "who's your daddy? ...SATAN" How do you think that would go over? But, that is how Jesus preached. And I am convinced that we should be saying that sort of message. I am not a turn or burn preacher. I am a, "the bible says this so I need to say it" sort of guy. Let me help you figure this out... if Jesus came to speak at our youth group what would his message be? ...Really take a minute to think about this. Would he try to tell some jokes? Would he try to be cute and try to be cool? Would he be trendy and try to get you to like him? I'm not so sure. When I read John chapter 8 I think Jesus might have a hard message for you. I think the message would be even harder for myself and other leaders but I can assure you that youth group would have a different feel that night. It would haunt you.

No comments: