Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Shepherd

So, while I was in Africa over the past couple weeks I had so many thoughts racing through my head and so little time to express those thoughts... I hope that I can get them onto paper before they fly away to the colony of lost ideas.... I wrestled this one to paper for you... you're welcome.

What is my role as a pastor? As a youth pastor? What should my emotions, my mental capacity, my physical effort, and my time be aimed at?

The best answer that I can give is found from scripture... I thought about maybe a fatherly role but that doesn't embody all that is required of me. There is more, not less that is happening in youth ministry.... I am a shepherd. I tend a flock of sheep. This is an analogy for my role at the church, I don't actually chase sheep around but I am sure that some think that our days at the church are filled with fantastical ideas of what we do here. It is a funny question that comes up over and over again in ministry, "what do you even do?" Anyways, back to being a shepherd.

A shepherd is a weighty job. It requires an all out commitment. You cannot simply offer your services and then not show up. When the sheep begin to follow you are responsible. So, lets make a couple observations about shepherding.

1. Entrusted with a flock:
-This is something that many pastors struggle with. It is very easy to lust after other sheep and desire to do whatever it takes to make the fold bigger... here is my words of warning; The sheep are not your own. They belong to the Master shepherd. He determines how many you care for. Some shepherds have many sheep some have few. Don't be bitter when you see others leading larger flocks and having greener pastures.
-The flock is not your own. You are an employee not an owner. Those sheep were purchased with the blood of the Owner and worth your best care but you do what the Master tells you to do with His sheep.
-You have been entrusted so make sure that you put forth your best effort
2. Leading Sheep
-They are sheep... that means stubborn and obstinate and stinky. This should not surprise you. With patience gently instruct... words to live by.
3. Loving the Sheep
-Although the sheep are not yours you will grow fond. As you spend countless hours leading and caring for them you will notice each sheep and fall in love with them. You will learn to care for them like a father.
4. Leading them to pastures
-This takes time. A shepherd must know the hillside. He must have an awareness of the Master's land and where he can take the sheep that will be best for them. Much time in study and prayer will draw a mental map of the pastures and talking to the Owner helps the shepherd to lead to the areas that have been freshly quenched by rain. The pastures change and a Shepherd must be able to move about. A Shepherd that feeds in the same place will quickly find that the grass will be trampled and consumed if the shepherd doesn't move about the lands. This means a flexibility to the means but a commitment to the end. The need for grass(truth) doesn't change but the way to achieve it might.
5. Defend against wolves
-There are many things that oppose the health of the sheep. A shepherd must be keenly aware and vigilant in the defense. Woe to me if I lose sheep because of negligence or laziness or an unwillingness to fight for what Jesus was willing to give his life for. Shepherds should be fit with a staff and sling and ready for the battle.

As I shepherd the sheep of Central's Student Ministry pray that I would be a faithful shepherd. Pray for me to be wise and know the pastures and to love the sheep and to protect them.

1 comment:

rbmgac said...

Hi Cory:

Over the last couple of years I have learned that God has to grant us patience and an open ear. Each child has a story and a struggle. Each one wants to share it with a trusting and open ear and open heart.