Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

Identity

If you weren't able to come to 6 o.clock this week we were looking at the concept of identity. I personally believe that identity is huge. We exhaust so much of our physical and emotional energy on what others think of us that it is ridiculous. But, is this the way a Christian should think or act? I don't believe so.

There are two people that have spoken largely to me about my identity and they are Jesus and Paul. They both have told me the same thing.

I am identified with Christ.

In Colossians 3 we are told that our lives are hidden with Christ in God. That my life is Christ.

Jesus says it this way, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? (Matthew 16:24-26)" In other words if we try so hard to manufacture our lives to be what we want, then we forfeit them. But, if we lay our lives at the foot of the cross we get doubly blessed. One, we get God for eternity. And two, we get a better more fulfilling purpose filled life here.


"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)"

We literally lay down our lives to take up Christ's life and mission. That is my identity. Being identified with Christ.

Lastly, we can waste a lot of energy on trying to be cool or well liked or well known or successful. We can spend our whole lives achieving those things. But in the end status doesn't matter and popularity doesn't matter and everything doesn't matter except knowing Christ and making him known.

So, to apply this I think we have to stop wasting so much energy on things that make us look good. And we have to start focusing our lives on what makes Jesus look Great.

No comments: