Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

John 12- Speaking Right

How often do you run your mouth? How often do you offer advise or simply talk to others? In our 9am class this past Sunday morning we noticed this proverb:
"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." (Prov 10:19)
I take that to mean, be careful how you use your mouth. It is easy to talk and when you do, the bible says it is easy to sin when you talk a lot. I am not saying that you should strike a vow of silence. Simply, recognize the power of the tongue and the danger of it being "a restless evil, full of deadly poison. (James 3:8)" The tongue, although it is small, is capable of all sorts of havoc (James 3). So, as I read today in John I notice that there is a way to speak words of peace and wisdom and healing and correction and love... Speak like Jesus.

Jesus says all sorts of crazy things but he draws his message from his sender... He speaks what his father tells him to say. Surely, Jesus is familiar with the rebuke that God spoke through Jeremiah about prophets who 'speak visions from their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord.(Jeremiah 23: 16)' The problem is they did not stand in the council of the Lord to have a message from Him (Jeremiah 23:18). Or Ezekiel gave the same warning in chapter 13 of his letter, "they lead my people astray, saying, 'peace,' when there is no peace (vs 10). Jesus knew that God does not tolerate a message that is not of Him but spoken in His name. So, Jesus chose his words very carefully and deliberately. We would do well to emulate our master.

"For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that this command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say. (John 12: 49-50)"

Jesus only said what he was commanded and only said it the way he was commanded and whatever he said was just what the Father told him to say!? That is staggering! Jesus spoke God's message. That's it. He didn't try to pad it with words. He didn't try to butter it up or make it look more appealing. He didn't put his own twist on it. He simply spoke as one saying the very words of God (1 Peter 2:11). Can I ever say that? I tend to exaggerate the truth... I have a bad habit of either telling half truths or stretching them so they sound either less bad or more appealing depending on the situation. I omit details that would make people upset or say things that make something sound better than it really is. My mouth is full of deadly poison!? But worse than that I am supposed to be a spokesperson for the King of the World and I usually take freedom in my message to change it at least a little to make it more palatable or fun.

Pray for yourself that as you open your mouth you would be speaking God's words to your friends, family, coworkers, etc... Don't run your mouth, speak what God tells you to and say it how He wants you to. Pray also for me. Pray that I would say only what the King issues me. Pray that I would 'eat of His scroll (Ezekiel 3:3)' and speak His words.

"We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check (James 3:2)."

God we are aiming for perfection in Christ... make our mouths obedient to you Lord. Thank you for purchasing the sins of our mouths. Help us to live up to your calling on us. Help us to speak what you desire. Help us to speak for your glory.

No comments: