Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

John 14- More Power

Jesus is unpacking his divine nature. That he is God. That the Father is in him and he in the Father. He also says that anyone who has seen Jesus has seen the Father. This chapter is chock full of all sorts of profound stuff...

But, then he says, "anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name , so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. (John 14:12,13)"

What?! We can do what Jesus did? Even greater things? That is a pretty earth shaking statement. That we as believers can do what Jesus did... think about the ministry of Jesus and how he healed people, and raised the dead, and went toe to toe with pharisees and scribes, and walked on water, and made the blind see, and calmed the storm!? Now he extends that authority to me? And says I'll do even greater things? He must not know us very well. Because honestly we hardly do the Sunday church thing very well. It is a miracle if I wake up feeling compassion for others or loving others. And what a stretch it would be for me to see God move like that in my life... or would it?

What Jesus is saying is that he is sending his Spirit to us and it is for our benefit that he leaves and that we receive the Spirit... That he will give us this supernatural ability to be like him to glorify God. So people look at our lives and are floored by...GOD. The problem most of us have is we are laboring to make us look like better Christians for our sake. Look at the mission trips I've done or the great things that I am doing. At the end of verse 13 Jesus says that the point is to glorify the Father not us. So, we need to ask for that anointing. We need to ask for more power and authority so we can better glorify God.

My life is pretty lame in light of this text. I know that there is so much more available to me and I think the issue is that I am not praying for more of my life to glorify God. When my aim becomes simply glorifying God then He will pour out the anointing. But, if my life continues to be about me than I can expect to see little power.

So, pray for your life to glorify the Father and sit back and watch as God does miraculous things through you.

No comments: