Pages

Friday, October 3, 2008

In Love With the Word?

There is a danger of staleness… I am sure that if you asked several seasoned saints you would hear the same answer to questions related to personal Bible study/reading; “It is hard to continue to return to the word everyday. There are so many subtle forces pulling against an individual from actually reading the bible.” I have a student that looked at me with a twinkle in his eyes and exclaim, “I am hungry for the word!” But, I bet I could ask that student how long did that hunger last before it was replaced with a hunger for something else? I am sure the answer would be not long. Maybe I am being pessimistic but I am projecting from my own experience.

I have a hard time with a routine bible reading. It should be my passion. It should be natural. BUT, it gets crowded out. It gets pushed to the fringes by other important things like ministry and preaching and counseling and even reading… I am so guilty of this lately. I have been reading and writing so much lately that I can’t even remember when I last simply read and studied the bible? Sure I use it. I think about it. I think about parts that I am already familiar with and I love to talk about them. But there is a depth to the bible that is in-exhaustible. And I am not mining. I put down my pick months ago. So on that note… I am done writing and I am done reading my other books so I can dive into the word of life.

1 comment:

rbmgac said...

Hi Cory:

I understand your point on not reading the Bible. I have found myself not reading the Bible like I had been. I am finding myself much more lost in my whole life.