Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Arrogance of Youth, Folly of the Old, Hatred of Prophets

I recently read some of my older articles and I just want you to know that I am treading as lightly as I possibly can... I realize that some of the things that I say can be controversial and offensive.

As I read them I want you to know that I am aware of the arrogance of youth. I am a young man and young men have a problem with recognizing that the world is big and they are small. That they don't know everything. Let me just say that I know that I know very little. I mean who would presume to 'rightly divide the word of truth' without having at least some hesitance. And I definitely feel the weight of 2 Cor 2:16 where Paul says, "who is sufficient for this!?" I am not the brightest star nor the most educated nor the most godly. So, read my articles carefully and with thought. Be a Berean that tests everything that I say against the bedrock of scripture. If you can't see how scripture warrants or backs up what I say then throw it out. Or even call me on it. I don't want to wander from the truth.

I also know the folly of the old. What I mean by that is not age but length. As Christians we can get into routine. We can become comfortable. Sin seems less threatening. God seems less glorious. Church is our social gathering and religious duty. Bible reading is flat and lacking vitality or even non existent. Our faith is not an active relationship with Almighty but a dead faith (James 2:17). So, sometimes I will say things to try to shake you to life. If you are playing in traffic I won't always gently say, "hey please don't play in traffic. It isn't best for you. If you don't want to get out of the traffic I understand and I will be your friend even if you stay in the street. But, please come over here on the sidewalk where it is safe so we can talk." That is a careless and wussy way to handle an extremely important situation. Sometimes the best thing to do is yell, "HEY GET OUT OF THE STREET!" Some will be offended because the tone was harsh and the message short. But, I would much rather explain my love after you are not about to get crushed by a bus. 

The hatred of the prophets is a third element that I want to bring into the light. Prophets were always hated because they called sin into question. They told people to turn to God and that is offensive but the most important message people need. I would say that all pastors have to have a little prophet in them. We have to stand up and declare to our people, "this is what God says." Or if you like an older rendering, "thus saith the LORD!" Sometimes we have to allow the Holy Spirit to convict the world of sin through us. People will hate that and even resent the instrument that delivered the message but it is best for the people.

Let me end by saying I am a clay pot. A common ordinary household item that holds garbage or waste or dirt. But, I am pouring out the richest treasure the world has ever known... Jesus Christ. And I am living to please God and not man. Take all that into account when you read these articles.

 

No comments: