Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Choose Wisely

I know that most of my students aren't reading as much as they could be... And I also admit that I have not always been a book worm. I actually have went through many seasons. There are seasons where I read a lot and there are seasons that I read nothing but the bible. The past four or five years was a relatively bookless time in which I read nothing. But, the end of last year and this year I have done a whole lot of reading. What I want to encourage is not necessarily read a lot. But, choose your books wisely. And, let me also say that reading is not a necessary way to grow closer to God... I am saying that very carefully because I think that for so many reading christian literature has had a profoundly huge effect on their spiritual growth. All that to say, if you are going to read make sure you are picking quality books.

Spurgeon says, "Forgo the many books that are 'made to sell.'" Meaning that we shouldn't just go to the bookstore and grab the book that is clearly made to peak your interest. Many authors and publishers are trying to come up with a novelty that they can sell. Something new or fresh. A book with a cool design on the cover and the right accolades on the back to entice you. Avoid those books. And he also says that we should master good books and not read everything... "A student will find that his mental constitution is more effected by one book thoroughly mastered than by twenty books which he has merely skimmed." When you have struck gold with a book master it. Take notes, use a study guide if available, read and re read it. In the words of Spurgeon, "bathe in them until they saturate you."

Here is an excerpt from Feed  My Sheep:
Time is too precious to waste on nonsense. Read more for eternity than time, more for spiritual growth than professional advancement. Think of John Trapp’s warning: “As water tastes of the soil it runs through, so does the soul taste of the authors that a man reads.”

No comments: