Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Feed My Sheep Review


I am a youth pastor by trade and call... Also, I am a rookie. This means that over the past year I have really dove into figuring out what it means to 'neglect the ministry of the word for waiting tables' (Acts 6:2). Clearly the apostles put a premium on preaching the word. In youth ministry preaching can easily become secondary. So, I have read several books on the topic. This is my most recent and encouraging read on the biblically mandated call to preach the word. 

I loved Feed My Sheep because it isn't a 'how to' manual. It isn't a pragmatic approach to preparing sermons. It was a breath of fresh air to me because in my opinion there are so many people publishing the need to prepare and present in such and such a way. If you follow a three point strategy, or one point strategy, or s.c.c.o.r.e. strategy you will be a successful youth pastor preacher. I am all for the practical but what my soul needs most is a passionate plea to be faithful to the word. Drink deep of the word and proclaim it boldly to your students. That is what Feed My Sheep accomplished for me.

One of the best aspects of this title is that it is actually a collection of several prominent preacher's thoughts on the topic. So, even though there is one theme running throughout, it doesn't get old because each person brings a new perspective to the topic.

If you are interested in the ever important task of preaching then I encourage you to read this book, or at least recommend it to pastors and teachers so they can be refreshed like I was by reading it.

No comments: