Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fighting Presumptious Sin

During communion at church today a verse came to me from recent reading... Psalm 19. There is a point at the end when David says, "Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression" (Psalm 19:12b-13).

Ok, I totally understand the hidden faults. He says in other places search me and see if there is any offensive ways in me (Psalm 139). I understand that in us there is a lot of bad things that we might not even be aware of. We can go on thinking that we are good people but when contrasted with a holy Jesus we are lacking. So, search us and reveal in us hidden sins, and forgive them Lord... but the next line is so bizarre to me. "keep your servant from willful sins; may they not rule over me" (vs 13a). David is praying against the sin that he knows is wrong and does it anyways. 

Friends memorize this verse and fight your 'old self' when he tempts you to sin in a way that you know is wrong. God keep us from willfully breaking your command... don't let our willful sins master us. 

Two things I want you to do with this. 
1) Memorize this verse so you can fight when your flesh leads you to sin.
2) Pray like David prayed... "keep me from willfully sinning. Don't let it master me.

If we learn how to do this we will become more like Jesus. We will be more successful in our sanctification. And we will draw closer to God.

No comments: