Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Conversation With God- by Katelyn

A very wise person once told me that the Bible was Gods voice and words given to writers and authors to record for everyone to hear. After being told this, my view and approach to the Bible have been transformed. The Bible is not something to be read out of obligation, and it is not something that is supposed to be on a checklist. It is the words of the God, who is bigger than all that we are, and he wants to share with us what he has to say. God is not a wall that you talk to, that never replies to your requests and concerns. He wants to tell you the answers to some of your questions, and he wants to help you live in a way that brings him glory. The way that he shares these things is through his Word, but we have to be willing to listen. The way that I have found that makes this easier is to pray before you begin to read. I usually ask for the time that I spend reading to be his, and that I will follow his agenda and not mine. I usually ask for wisdom to be able to understand what he says to me, and that he would be revealed to me. From there I will read until something hits my heart. It could be one verse, or it could be three chapters. If things feel irrelevant, or they are confusing, I simply remember that God promised to reveal himself to those who seek him with their whole hearts. I believe that we will never grow in our faith if we do not learn to listen. God has already given us wisdom that has stood the test of time, and he has made it more than accessible for us, so now it is our job to seek him out, and pursue his voice.

-Katelyn

No comments: