Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

Slow and Steady or Can it be Quick?

Well unfortunately I didn't wake up today looking like a David Clark or Billy Graham. Being sanctified is slow and steady I am learning. It takes patience. It takes God's long suffering and forbearance. It takes time. As I teach students I witness God slowly crafting on each of them... It is like watching waves slowly lap at a stone... The results aren't noticeable as you sit there for an afternoon but what about a week? What about months? Or years? God is patient. We need to be faithful and recognize that he is patiently making us more like his son.

But, then I also wonder, how many of us really want to be like Jesus? Maybe our lack of noticeable progress is due to our lack of desire to progress. Maybe it is fun to talk about as long as it is a theory and not a lifestyle. Do you really want to love people that sacrificially? Do you really want to spend money knowing that it has an effect on eternity or eat cereal to God's glory? Do you want to be a homeless people lover like him? Do you want people to constantly say you are a little off including pastors and influential "Christians" in your life? Do you want to be mistreated by the people that should understand your passion the most? That's what Jesus constantly faced. Persecution. Misunderstanding. Loneliness. Being a real saint is lonely business. ...Actually, if we are honest, we would rather live for ourselves and talk about our Christianity... We would rather love ourselves and look after our own spiritual and personal issues. We would rather spend our money on things that we love and enjoy without thinking about it. We would rather eat whatever we want and who cares about God's glory when I am eating? And, I definitely want a nice house or apartment and I want it to look cool and be a safe haven for me. In fact, God wants me to have a nice house!? I have to provide for my family that's biblical! I also want to be accepted by everyone and most importantly good church goers. That's the reality. A christianity up to a point. Let's not go overboard Cory.

If you want to actually look like Jesus, at whatever the cost, read on...

I believe we probably aren't eagerly asking God to make us like Jesus. I believe that if we prayed desperately that God would break off worthless parts of our lives and transform us to be like Jesus that he would be faithful. I believe that if we asked for it right now, so we can glorify his name, God would answer that prayer. Would you be willing to live this one out though? ...right off the bat you can bet your life it will look like Jesus' time in the desert being tempted by Satan... then it would be followed up by years of mistreatment and misunderstanding. Abandonment by people you love and admire and finally resulting in a sacrificial giving of your life. You want that? Count the cost friends.

I personally have found that there is nothing in life more valuable than being a follower of Jesus. I don't care if my very life is at stake. I don't care if my reputation is slandered. I don't care if people call me weird for radical beliefs that play out into real life scenarios. I am going for it. I am sick of talking about it. I want to live it.

No comments: