Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

John 18- I am He

Jesus had went out to the olive grove knowing that Judas would come there to betray him... When the detachment(group) of soldiers arrived led by Judas, Jesus asks, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth" they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground. (John 18:1-6 paraphrased and condensed)

Holy smokes... I don't care how much you tell me that Jesus is fuzzy and comfy and nice. There is still this side of him that terrifies me... A band or detachment of soldiers I am sure fit with weapons and wearing their shields and armor. Coming for one man. But when Jesus simply speaks they fall down prostrate. They back up and fall down. Like a scared little dog that wets himself when a stranger comes in. This is the effect Jesus had on them and he still has this effect on me. He is God. He is almighty and I worship him in fearful and reverent adoration. Jesus is not my homeboy... he is my master.

Does Jesus command your respect? Is he magnificent and awesome to you? Or is he a means to an end? Is he the guy that you simply run your plans by and ask him to bless an idea you have or a financial burden you are carrying? Or, is he your master and when you think about him do you glance at the ground because you realize that he is mighty and he is God? Does Jesus have high regard to you? Or do you casually talk about him or think about him like an old school buddy that you spent time with long ago. Or a pen pal that you talk to at your convenience.

They drew back and fell to the ground... that has a profound effect on me. It makes me worship him more. It makes me want to serve him more passionately.

God give us just a glimpse of your Son's glory today. Help us to draw back and fall down. Recognizing his authority and might and radiance. He is the image of the invisible God. He is magnificent. He is perfect. Help us to give him the honor that is due his name. Cleanse us from any pompous attitudes that make Jesus out to be our genie in a bottle... getting us what we want. Jesus you are worthy... the lamb that was slain to take away the sins of man, you are worthy!

No comments: