Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Go to God... Your Other God

That is supposed to be a parody on the saying, 'go to your right... your other right.' We generally say that when giving directions and the person doesn't know their right from left. So we have to jokingly redirect them. That is why the title of this article is 'go to God... no, your other God.' Not that there are two Gods, but when I say go to God where do you actually go. You probably take a turn in the wrong direction. So this morning let's try to get on the right path.

As a reader of these articles I am concerned for you... one reason is because I worry about steering you astray. It is a dangerous thing to publish ideas on the interweb when it is early in the morning and the proper amounts of caffeine aren't pumping through my system yet. But, the other reason why I am worried about you is because Satan is very tricky....

I am learning lately that for me the problem is not that I waste my time going to smutty places like television or questionable websites. I don't waste my time by having pointless conversations when I should be working. (There are still struggles but when they are obvious like that they can be delt with quickly) I actually have a hard time with spending too much time on good things. Let me try to explain. When you want to encounter God do you pick up a good christian book? Do listen to a sermon online? Do you journal about God? Do you surf to this website or other christian websites?

I do all of those things to some extent... Here is the tragedy, I can spend all my time talking, thinking, and writing about God and not actually spend time with God. The analogy that I came up with is this; I am in a room with my family and friends eating dinner. I love my dad so I begin to talk about him to my friend Jake. "Did you hear that dad started a new project this week? He has been working really hard." Then I proceed to talk about all these things that my dad is doing and that I admire. Here is the tragedy... my dad is at the other end of the table. Even though it might be flattering that we talk about him, he wants us to talk with him. And as Christians we can do this to God. We can talk about him, we can read about him, we can write about him in our journals. But what God really wants is for you to be with him. To talk to him not about him.

So, as a reader of this website my hope is that you don't come here to meet God. Maybe you need a little pointer to find out which direction to go and I hope to do that for you. But, this should not substitute your time with him. Please make an effort to spend time with Him. That is his desire. And while your hanging with Him tell him to make sure that I am spending time with him too! Tell him to break my Internet for a day if I don't schedule a date with him. Tell him to make me sick so I lay in bed and talk to him. Tell him to do whatever it takes to make sure that I am spending time with him. I am being selfish I know but I love my time with Him!

Let me end with a quote from an amazing man that lived long ago and started many orphanages. He didn't have lots of money and he wasn't some amazing leader. He was a man that enjoyed his fellowship with God and he believed that it was by prayer and fellowship with the word of God that great things are accomplished. George Muller said this, “I saw more clearly than ever, that the first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day was, to have my soul happy in the Lord.” Are you doing that friend? Are you making sure that your soul is happy in the Lord? Are you spending time with him doing that? I can promise you that no christian book or website or preacher can make you glad in God quite like God himself can. Spend a little time with Him today.

No comments: