Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

John 18- Out of This World

Jesus is a crazy dude! As we have camped out in the gospels this year it has been cool to watch him in action. To see what he was all about. To see him with a baby in his hand cooing and giggling and blessing and then to see the other side of him speak a word and watching a detachment of soldiers fall on their faces. He is incredible. You cannot walk away from reading the gospels without having a deep appreciation for Jesus.

At the end of John 18 we see Jesus and Pilate talking with each other and Pilate is trying to find out if Jesus is a king. Jesus tells him plainly, "I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." (John 18:37) But before that Jesus tells us the nature of his kingdom... "My Kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place. (vs. 36)" You can say that again. He is out of this world and he is calling us into his kingdom. My question for you is does your life make sense like it is part of this kingdom? Is your life like any other worldly person... what kingdom marks do you have that show that you are a part of a far out group of followers?

I don't want to live a life that makes sense. I don't follow a Jesus who says that 'my kingdom is not of this world' but then everything I do emulates worldliness. That is not what I am trying to be about. The purchases that I make. The people I interact with and the things I say. The way that I am joyful no matter what the circumstances. The way that I cling to the cross. The ways that I spend my time. It should all point to a Kingdom led by king Jesus.

Does your life look like a citizen of the kingdom of worldliness? Or does it say that you hail to the king Jesus?

No comments: