Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

John 17- The Difference Between Religion and Loving Christ

This is important. I have been a Christian for 8 years now. I grew up going to church but it wasn't a love relationship with Jesus. It was obligation or duty or simply a label. I was a "christian." My family attended church. It was expected that I attended church. I learned early on what Jesus did on the cross and that I needed him to be my savior because I sin. I learned that there was a gap between me and God and I needed Jesus to bridge the gap. Makes sense, sign me up. So, while I was still young I prayed the sinner's prayer and invited Jesus into my heart. No fireworks, no huge conversion, no crazy story of going from a life of partying and drugs to being completely free. I didn't burn my secular CD's. I didn't have to cut ties with crazy friends. I simply believed and confessed like I was told to and I was a "christian." Unfortunately, this is the sad story of many christians... the reason I say sad is because I don't think that results in a genuine belief. I don't think that simply understanding and doing what you feel compelled to do makes you a "real" and "authentic" Christian.

It was when I was 18 years old that Jesus became precious. All of a sudden the cross became more than a bumper sticker or something to be worn around a neck but it actually became my life. What Jesus did in his death, burial, and resurrection became everything. He became my treasure.

That is what Jesus says in John 17:1 "Father, the time has come. Glorify your son, that your Son may glorify you." Glorify. Is Christ glorified to you? Did the cross become precious? Is it everything? Is God everything to you? When it hits you like a ton of bricks you feel it... It is like gaining sight. It is like you finally understand what the fuss was about... It is like a light goes on and all of a sudden the fog clears and you see Jesus magnified and lifted high. He is the Son of God. He is perfect and he gave you perfection by taking what you deserve and giving you rights to be sons and daughters. You were cursed but he became your curse. Then you fall at his feet and worship him in adoration mingled with fear and respect. It is intense! It consumes you.

Has it hit you yet? Has it became dear to you yet? Or is christianity simply something you participate in. A religious duty. A religious label. A holy habit. It has to be more than that. Jesus is a treasure and until you feel the weight of that I would be hesitant to call yourself a believer. "There are many who will say to me on that day 'Lord Lord...' and I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you.' (Matthew 7:21-23)" I have heard of church going full time ministers who have not found the cross precious... I believe the bible is clear of what happens to them. Read Acts 5 and see false believers in action. They went through all the motions but Jesus wasn't glorified to them. I am talking about Ananias and Sapphira... They were professing believers at the start of the Church in Jerusalem and they would have sat under Peter's amazing sermon... they would have said the sinner's prayer... they would have been baptized... they even sold their land to give to the apostles to help with the church.... they are super christians in our eyes. But, Jesus wasn't glorified to them. He wasn't their everything. It was just a show. And the Spirit found them out. Don't let your story parallel theirs.

Is Jesus glorified to you? Is he your everything? If the cross is just a symbol to you then push your chair back from your computer and get on your knees and beg that God would grant you the mercy to see Christ glorified. It may seem silly but it is the most important thing you could possibly do. You might be at work or school or even at home but do not budge until God grants you your wish.

God make us love you by showing us how magnificent you really are! Make us see how incredible the cross is! We are not going anywhere until you show us your glory. Work can wait. Family can wait. School can wait. Seeing your glory is the most important thing right now. Show us your glory. 'Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.'

No comments: