Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

John 16- For Your Good

"It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." -Jesus (John 16:7)

Imagine what it would be like to walk with Jesus... what if there was a stir and someone said that Jesus was in Chicago and it was believable and truthful. Would you rush there? I would. I get star struck about Christian pastors that have had a profound impact on me. I can't even imagine what it would be like to see Jesus. Try to think through what it would be like to see him in action. Would you push your way to the front of the crowd? Would you hang on his every word? Would you lay in bed and think about what he said and then tell yourself, "I have to get to sleep so I am not tired for tomorrow when Jesus does even more crazy things!"

But Jesus teaches us that it is better that he leaves so he can send the Counselor to us. We have a gift and not many of us get that excited. It is the gift of the Holy Spirit and we rarely even think about Him. We can manage a week without even noticing His presence. Does that sit well with you? To be honest I am embarrassed by my lack of regard for the Spirit. I need to recognize that He is here and He is powerful.

Have you disregarded the Spirit? Have you seen Him at work? Has he convicted of Sin or empowered you to 'do greater things than these?' If not then I urge you to pray for Him to blow your socks off. He will.

No comments: