Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Acts 8- Preaching the Word Wherever

In this chapter the believers are scattered. But, wherever the believers go they preach. In fact, they preach and joy sweeps over a city (vs 8). 

For some reason in our individualistic culture we allow church to take place at church... That sentence doesn't even make sense. Church is a group not a location. But we want churchy stuff to stay at the building. So, when we scatter no body preaches. In fact we do the opposite of preach we conceal. Just the other day I was walking to a coffee shop with Ashley to read. I had my bible and J.I. Packer's Knowing God and I actually thought about turning my book around so the cover wasn't facing out.... I'm just being honest. I have a tendency even though I am a pastor to conceal my faith. 

The believers did the opposite in Chapter 8. They preached. I know that word has many connotations and not the least of which is pews, a lectern, a guy in a suit, proclaiming his notes that he has neatly tucked in his bible. That is not an accurate picture. They preached meaning they proclaimed the excellencies of Christ and the amazing grace that was displayed in the cross to rescue sinners of which I am the chief! They were so enamored by Jesus that they couldn't shut up about it.

Imagine a young boy gets a new video game and just jabbers about it nonstop. Even though the conversation might move away from the video game, when there is a moment of silence he interjects, "Oh yeah!? and when I was playing it..." The boy's mind keeps going back to the game. He can't stop talking about it. He is consumed. So it was with the early believers. I am sure conversations covered many topics but when given a moment of silence the believer's mind gravitated to the glorious gospel. 

Is Jesus a treasure to you? Do you talk about him? Do you 'preach' to your family and friends about him? That is what our evangelism should look like. An excitement that bubbles up in us and attracts others. A preaching with our lives.  

No comments: